Friday, May 17, 2013

Stage 7: The Dragon

Friday morning.... 

While the rest of the world woke up and got ready for work, I slept in a bit, enjoying the clean air and cool breezes flowing through my tent.

After a little extra sleepytime, it was time to wake up and ride the Dragon.

The Tail of the Dragon crosses Deal's Gap at the Tennessee/North Carolina state line, and is considered by many to be one of the world's best motorcycling (and sports car) roads.  This 11 mile stretch of US Highway 129 comes complete with 318 curves, twisting its way through some of the most beautiful scenery you'll see anywhere.

My bucket list just got a bit shorter.
 


 One of the coolest things about this road is the professional photographers who hang out and shoot cars and riders as they go past. "Killboy" (www.killboy.com) has been doing this for a long time now, and has some really amazing shots up on his site.  For a small fee, you can download high quality pictures of yourself hitting some of the best curves.













The scenery is amazing, but this isn't the place to sight see.  The curves come at you rapid fire, and demand your full attention.  Oncoming traffic can very often make a mistake and wind up on your side of the road, and underestimating the curves can have disastrous results.  Angering the Dragon often doesn't end well for the rider.

There's pieces from hundreds of bikes here
For years now, riders have been leaving items on this tree at the Deal's Gap Resort, as a warning to others, or perhaps as an offering to appease the Dragon. 



Mirror from a $25,000 bike 
The Dragon cares not what you ride, it demands respect.

Wear your riding gear, kids.
Deer, turkey, and even bears have been seen crossing the highway
Ouch indeed.
After paying our respects at the Tree, it was time for some lunch.  We'd skipped breakfast with the intent of going crazy for lunch, and this double meat, double bacon, double cheese burger on onion roll sure hit the spot.  They call it the Pig Pen burger, and it was delicious.

Health food.
With our bellies full and one run under our belts, it was time to head back up the highway from the other direction.  I took advantage of some of the pulloffs to snag a few pictures this time.



Unfortunately rain was starting to move into the area and we already had a few drops hitting our visors.  Since  we'd left most of our rain gear at the campsite, we decided to head back.  I'd planned to get my gear and head back out, but "the tired" hit me like a ton of bricks at the campsite, so I spent the evening writing, catching up with my wife and downloading pictures from my camera.  Around midnight the rains came down hard and heavy, and after I got used to the sound of it hitting my tent, I had a very good night's sleep.


2 comments:

Jim K. said...

Hi Jason - Found your blog on ST Owners Forum. Enjoyed reading your ride report. I hope to ride the dragon next summer. I have a question. I see a nice GPS case in your blog. It looks like waterproof. What kind are you using?

Jason - said...

Hey there Xamper - glad you've enjoyed it so far. I'm using an Aquabox (Model RAM-HOL-AQ6U, http://tinyurl.com/kwkyaz3) that is attached to the bike via RAM Mounts. It's not a perfect solution but it's a lot cheaper than a waterproof GPS and I am willing to accept the limitations it comes with - it can be hard to see in bright sunlight, and it's hard to use the smaller buttons on the touchscreen through the waterproof window.

It has been reliable and waterproof though, so I have no complaints.