Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stage 4a: The Skip Barber Motorcycle Museum

To think, that in the initial planning stages of this trip, I wasn't very excited about the prospect of stopping here. To think, that I initially wanted to bypass Alabama all together.

What a foolish thing to think.


The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum has over 1200 motorcycles in its collection, making it one of the largest collection in the world.  Bikes ranging from 1902 to current-year production are on display, many of them still in operating condition.  99% of all the bikes in the museum can be put into running condition within one hour.


BMW K1








Many of the bikes on display here are things I'd only ever read about.  I never thought I'd actually get to see them in person.















Rotary power!




I am a bit partial to the Hondas...



But I like Suzukis too!


I need more power!
 
Honda CBX1000 with touring package, the Grandfather of the Honda ST series.  Inline 6 cylinder engine, 24 valves, 105HP, and an exhaust note that still brings a tear to the eye of many motorcycle enthusiasts around the world.  I would ride the hell out of this.  



Seriously, if you like motorcycles, and are anywhere near this place, you need to go.

The bikes and gear used by Jim Rogers, author of "Investment Biker"

Bikes everywhere, and a few really neat cars too




1913 Harley Davidson 9-B.  This bike runs.

Custom-made V8?

Yep

It looks like it came from the factory this way

Go ride!

No comments: